Addis Ababa August 09/2018 Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has established a Diaspora Trust Fund Advisory Council and its members, Chief of Staff of the Prime Minister Fitsum Arega told ENA.
The Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund is among the initiatives of the government to directly involve Ethiopians in the Diaspora in the development of the country.
The government of Ethiopia is prepared to work with and engage all Ethiopian Diaspora communities worldwide in the socio-economic and political development of the country.
In his speech to the parliament, Prime Minister Abiy called on the Diaspora to contribute one dollar a day to fund social and developmental projects.
In Response to his call, a diverse group of well-known Ethiopian scholars, business executives and other professional have volunteered to mobilize the Diaspora.
The Council is expected to come up with a plan, which includes mechanisms to ensure accountability and transparency, project section criteria for funding and identification of practical means to attract wide support among the Diaspora.
The Council is also expected to seek input from the Diaspora communities to ensure that their voices are heard in the establishment and administration of the fund.
Members of the Council include:
- Dr. Alemayehu G. Mariam, Professor of Political Sceince and Attonry at Law, California State University, San Bernardino (Chairman of the council)
- Dr. Bisrat Aklilu, Executive Coordinator of the Multi-Partner Trust Fund office, UN Development Program
- Gabriel Negatu, Director General of African Development Bank
- Kassahun (Kassy) Kebede, Founder and Managing Partner of Cophus Growth Capital, an Ethiopian Focused Private Equity Fund Started in 2016, Founder and Managing Partner of Panton Capital Group.
- Dr. Lemma Senbet, Executive Director African Economic Research Consortium, William E, Mayer Chair professor of Finance, Founding Director, Center for Financial Policy University of Maryland
- Lulit Ejigu, Executive Director-Risk Management Strategy and amp; Advisory at JP Morgan Chase
- Dr. Menna Demessie, Vice President of Police Analysis and Research at the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc
- Mimi Alemayehou, Managing Director of Black Rhino Group and Executive Advisory and CHAIR OF Blackstone Africa Infrastructure LP.
- Minelik Alemu Getahun, Assistant Director General World Intellectual Property Organization
- Obang Metho, Executive Director, Solidarity Movement to a New Ethiopia, Human Rights Activist
- Robsan Itana, President and CEO, Global Transtation and amp, Interpreter
- Tamagne Beyene, ActivistHuman Rights
- Tashita Tufaa, Prisedent and CEO, Metropolitan Transportation Network (MTN) Inc. Minneapolis/st Paul, MN
- Yehenew Walilegne, Counsel at the World Bank
- Elias Wondimu, President and CEO of THEHAI Corp.